Is it safe to take medicine for diabetes along with liver cancer?

Oncologist
Question
Dear Doctor,
My brother is under chemotherapy for liver cancer and is taking Sorafenib 200 mg.
He is also diabetic patient and taking Zoryl M2, Tragenda - 5 and Pynorm - 30 drugs.
Can you please advise whether these drugs for diabetic treatment can clash with chemodrug?
Also,please advise Insulin for diabetic treatment can clash with chemodrug?
Thanks and regards,
XXXXXXX
< YYYY@YYYY >
Posted Sat, 1 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 49 minutes later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

Medication interactions are very important to consider with any type of treatment. Sorafenib is a new type of therapy and there are some side effects including fatigue, diarrhea, rash and sometimes lowering of blood counts.

The other medication which he currently is taking does not have any significant interactions with this type of treatment. It should be noted however that regular physician follow-up visits and laboratory testing should be done to invite wait adequate kidney function, liver function as well as adequate blood count.

Thank you again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns regarding this matter.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert

Follow-up: Is it safe to take medicine for diabetes along with liver cancer? 11 hours later
Dear Doctor,
Thank you for the reply.

Please refer back to my question. It seems you have not answered a portion of my question:
"Also,please advise Insulin for diabetic treatment can clash with chemodrug (Sorafenib)"
Kindly provide clarification on this also.

Thanks and regards,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 10 hours later
Hello again!

Insulin will most certainly be safe to use with this treatment. It is very important also that he maintain good surveillance of his blood sugar to adjust the dose of insulin if needed.

Thanks again for the query.

Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Dr Robert