Is it safe to take meconeuron 500mcg tablet during pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question

Is it safe to take MecoNeuron 50 mcg tablet during pregnancy. What are the benefits?
Also Folic acid is prescribed only during first 2 months of pregnancy and my doctor adviced to discontinue and only use calcium and iron tables for the rest of pregnancy. Is Folvite necessary too?
Posted Sun, 30 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 11 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Meconeuron (vitamin B12) at a dose of 50 mcg is safe in pregnancy. However, the higher doses of vitamin B12 has not been studied. Vitamin B12 is required for the proper development of nerves and blood cells.

Folic acid (folvite) is also useful in pregnancy, as it prevents the defects in brain and spinal cord. As per the recommendations, it should be continued throughout the pregnancy. In the first three months, 400 mcg daily, and later on, 600 mcg daily of folic acid is required.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: Is it safe to take meconeuron 500mcg tablet during pregnancy? 1 hour later
Thanks heaps for your reply.

I would like to correct the typo error on my previous query. It was supposed to me MecoNeuron 500 mcg that i was prescribed. I typed it incorrectly as 50 mcg. So i believe i cannot continue to take 500 mcg one now?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.

Higher doses (more than 50 mcg) of meconeuron (vitamin B12) are also probably safe, but final answer is not known. So, if you do not have vitamin B12 deficiency, then, you should not take meconeuron now. If not known, you can check your vitamin B12 level by a simple blood test.

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: Is it safe to take meconeuron 500mcg tablet during pregnancy? 4 minutes later
Doctor, One last final question..

Is it safe to have Flax seed powder during pregnancy? Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 minutes later
Flax seed powder is possibly unsafe in pregnancy. So, unless specifically advised by a doctor, you should NOT take it.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar
YYYY@YYYY