Is it safe to take lipitor 80 mg as an alternative for simvastatin 40 mg?

Critical Care Specialist
Question
I am taking simvastatin 40 mg. now my doctor wants to go take lipitor now with 80 mg. He says this would be of equal srength. Is this right everything I read is just the opposite that simvastatin 40mg is equal to lipitor 20 mg. Who is right?
Posted Tue, 13 Nov 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 3 hours later

There are various studies comparing the different strengths of the two drugs, with respect to efficiency and side effects with different results.

However during the first 12 weeks of one study simvastatin increased HDL cholesterol more than the comparative doses of atorvastatin, while producing slightly lower reduction in LDL cholesterol.
At maximal dose comparison simvastatin 80mg and atorvastatin 80mg, HDL cholesterol lowering favoured simvastatin.

In another study efficacy of different strengths of atorvastatin were compared to different strength of simvastatin and found 40mg of simvastatin is equal to 80 mg of atorvastatin in lowering LDL cholesterol and increasing HDL

Bottom line Simvastatin 40mg is equal to 80 mg atorvastatin.

Hope I answered your question
If you have any more queries, do post your follow up.
I will be readily available to answer.

Follow-up: Is it safe to take lipitor 80 mg as an alternative for simvastatin 40 mg? 13 hours later
My pharmacist says the opposite that 40mg simvastain is equal to 20mg Lipitor.

Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 17 hours later

Hi thanks for your follow up
As I explained you above that 40mg of simvastatin is equivalent to 80mg of atorvastatin by citing referencing from three studies.
There are numerous studies comparing the different strengths of simvastatin and atorvastatin.
Most of studies but not all,depict 40mg of simvastatin is equivalent to 80mg of atorvastatin.
Your pharmacist might have gone through the study, which depicts 40mg of simvastatin is equivalent to 20mg of atorvastatin.
Hope I answered your query.
If you don’t have any more queries.
Please close the discussion and write review.