Is it safe to take laser hair removal treatment for excessive hair growth on upper lips and chin?

Hello Sir. I'm a wheatish 23 year old female. I'm planning to take laser hair removal treatment since I have excess hair growing on my chin and upper lips. I want to know how safe it is. I'm gonna get this done by a dermatologist. Will it have any side effects? Will the exposure to these rays give rise to any type of cancer? Please help. Thank you Regards, XXXX
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: safe and effective treatment Detailed Answer: Hello dear, Welcome to healthcare magic. I am Dr. Charu. I read your query and understood your concern. Laser hair removal is currently the best modality of treatment for excess hair growth especially on face. I will like to know which type of laser will be used by your dermatologist like diode/IPL/Nd:YAG laser?? It may result in temporary side effects like immediate redness, pain, swelling and very rarely blistering of skin at the site of treatment. If they occur, they subside within days to weeks. Very rarely it may cause permanent side effects like skin discoloration, scars or burns. But as such its a good and safe mode of treatment for hair removal. Definitely, it does not cause cancer and till date no such case has been reported. Additionally I will suggest you to rule out polycystic ovarian disease which is very common in your age group. It is a condition characterized by acne, excess body hair, menstrual disturbances, excess weight gain. I will like to know whether you have any of the above mentioned features in addition to the excess hair on face. You may need some blood investigations but before that i need to know the answers of my questions. Kindly reply to my questions so that I am better able to help you. Thanks. stay healthy.