Is it safe to take kondroflex with diabetes and osteoarthritis?

how safe it is for diabetic patients to take kondroflex XXXXXXX where in she has got osteoarthrites,her sugar level is 150
Posted Sat, 11 Jan 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: more frequent blood sugar monitoring required Detailed Answer: Dear Friend Thanks for writing to us. Chondroflex contains supplements like Chondrotin and glucosamine, which are helpful in osteoarthritis. However, there is no clear-cut medical evidence of their benefit in osteoarthritis. About your concern that a diabetic can take it or not, I would like to tell you that glucosamine has been implicated to worsen blood sugar levels in patients with diabetes , but again there is no clear cut evidence. The mechanism by which glucosamine is hypothesized to affect blood glucose involves the roles of glucosamine and the hexosamine biosynthesis pathway in the regulation of glucose transport. Many studies deny this finding in their patients. There is no clear-cut well established evidence supporting this hypothesis, but, I would recommend a frequent blood sugar monitoring, if she takes this supplement. She can be started on this supplement, with a fresh glycosylated hemoglobin value, which can be repeated after 3 months and can be compared. I hope I am able to solve your query, still if you have any query you can ask me.