Is it safe to take kinalog injection for inflamed tonsils?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
I have a right side tonsil that has been examined by ENT. Normal in size but I have experienced problems from this tonsil mainly from allergies for several years. Also, have had scan which is normal and scope through nose to see throat and tonsil..all good. Still feels somewhat swollen and gets a bit inflamed. Is it ok to get an injection of Kinalog directly into tonsil?? And, would it help.
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: do not worry Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX and welcome to health care magic, I am Dr Sriram Nathan, an ENT surgeon who has seen lakhs of cases with tonsillitis and operated close to three thousand!! So I can assure you that I have a fair amount of experience in treating tonsil problems. Coming to your problem, I would like to point out a few things for your consideration: 1. Everyone will have tonsils and many will have tonsils which are enlarged. In fact I have seen patients with huge tonsils who have absolutely no other problem. We will never operate or interfere with the tonsils unless it is causing recurrent infections. 2. No one will have tonsils of equal size. There will always be a difference in the size from right to left. This is perfectly normal and you have nothing to worry about. 3. In many cases what you see is a tonsil which is seen while the whole bulk of tissue may be hidden within the tonsillar bed which can be seen only after removal so the size you see in the other supposedly normal side can be just the tip of the iceberg so to speak. 4. If your scans and other systems are normal you further do not have anything to worry about 5. Tonsils will usually cause infections and it will not cause allergy so your allergies are inborn and have nothing to do with tonsils 6. Kenalog is triamcinalone, a locally acting safe steroid which can be injected anywhere without any side effects so you can do that but it is unlikely to benefit a tonsillar enlargement. 7. A mild inflammation of tonsils can be due to infection and reflux which can be effectively treated by simple medication so do not worry. Your doctor will knwo about these. 8.Finally, if the tonsils are bothering you so much you can definitely remove them by a simple surgery but this is your call. Hope your doubts are clear and I will be more than happy to answer any more doubts that you may have regards Dr Sriram Nathan