Is it safe to take kenalog injections while taking metformin and metoprolol?

Is it safe to take kenalog injections while taking metformin and metoprolol. The kenalog injections are for severe hair loss. I started seeing a dermatologist today and she recommended the kenalog injections as well as using the ointment twice daily on my scalp. My diabetes and blood pressure are under control. My A1C is 6.1 and my blood pressure runs 120-70 - 116-64.
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Local kelong injection has minimal systemic effect Detailed Answer: Hi laclay, Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX I went through your query and understood your concerns. Kenalog is a steroid injection, local administration of drug at a required dose is not going to affect your sugar levels. Systemic entry of medication will be minimal, so has negligible effect on blood sugar level. You can take steroid injection. Kenalog injection is indicated for alopecia areata ( one of the cause for severe hair loss) If your condition is alopecia areata kenalog injection may helpful. Hope this information helpful to you. Feel free to ask further related queries. Regards
Follow-up: Is it safe to take kenalog injections while taking metformin and metoprolol? 6 hours later
The kenalog injections will be adminster once a month increasing the injections to my scalp each month. What about weight gain? I have lost weight due to my exercise program and changing my eating habits to keep my A1C down. Will the kenalog injections cause any weight gain?
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 21 hours later
Brief Answer: can cause weight gain and raise HbA1C Detailed Answer: Hi thanks for writing back. All steroids have some effect on weight gain due to fluid retention and also fat redistribution. The steroids will also can cause increase in glucose level and hence HbA1C level. So you need to monitor your sugar levels with food, exercise and drugs. Hope this helps you. Regards