Is it safe to take gelusil during pregnancy?

Mar 2014
hi, iam pregnant lady completed my 180 days from the day 150 iam taking gelusil syrup due to the acidity problem. Kindly confirm which will create any problem to my baby
Posted Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: There is no problem. Detailed Answer: Hi, You are in the second trimester of pregnancy. You have begun to take gelusil after the 20th week. Usually all the organs are developed after 20 weeks and hence there is no chance of this syrup causing a congenital problem. Acidity is a common issue in pregnancy. It happens as the position of internal organs changes due to a growing uterus and also due to relaxant effect of pregnancy hormones on the stomach and intestines. Even though gelusil is safe it is advisable to avoid all possible drugs during pregnancy. I suggest that you try other measures like eating food in small quantities, eat soft food, avoid eating food with spices and oils. Eat more fruits like pomegranates, apples and any other except citrus fruits like oranges [as they contain acid]. Have a good nights sleep and sleep early. This will help you. if the problem is very severe, use omeprazole once daily for 7 days after consulting your gynecologist. Hope this satisfies your query. Thanks for using HCM. Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have. Dr Madhuri Bagde Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist