Is it safe to take fat burner pills? What are the side effects?

hi, recently, i was adviced by my gym instructor to take fat burner pills , i am working out regularly but i havent reduced maybe because i am on antidepressants. i need to know if these fat burner pills are safe and should i take them ? what could be the possible side effects ? will they interfere with my intake of anti depressants ?
Posted Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
First of all you should get your thyroid function tests done to see whether you are suffering from hypothyroidism or not.
If you are hypothyroid no amount of exercises or fat burning pills are going to help you until hypothyroid status is corrected.
If you’re training hard and still finding it difficult to lose weight, or you’re frustrated by the fact that the weight is not coming off quickly enough, a fat burner could help you reach your weight management goals more quickly,provided thyroid status is normal.However there are many side effects of these pills like
Anxiety,confusion,headaches,palpitations,insomnia,memory loss,anemia,memory loss,hypertension,panic attacks and rarely stroke and heart attacks.
Since you are already taking anti depressants,I would advise you to seek medical advice from your treating doctor before even going near to these pills.
However if you still decide to take these fat burning pills,make sure that the moment you have some side effect,simply dump them.

I can't comment any further as I don't know the anti depressant drugs you are taking as well as the contents of fat burning pills you are supposed to take.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck