Is it safe to take ecosprin for blood pressure problem?

Dear Doc,
Please advice if Ecosprin is to be taken. I am a BP patient and have been taking it for last 10 years. But now some Doc say it is bad as per some report from British papers. Please advise.
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 20 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Low-dose ecosprin is used in the prevention of cardiovascular disease. This prevention has to be undertaken in diabetic and hypertensive patients, along with a number of other patients at risk of cardiovascular events. If taken in low doses this medication helps greatly in prevention of serious conditions like stroke, peripheral artery disease (low or poor blood flow), myocardial infarction (heart attacks), etc.

But, the benefit of aspirin have to be carefully calculated. Ecosprin is a clear beneficial factor in patients who have had:
-Previous heart attacks, strokes, angina, transient ischemic attack, peripheral artery disease, etc.
-Patients who have risk factors present (eg. diabetes, hypertension, etc.)

But, please note that the benefits of ecosprin may not always outweigh the risks in individuals who have a low risk of heart attack or ischemic stroke (as is your case).

As you have only 2 risk factors, that of being hypertensive and above the age of 50 years, you are at low risk of any cardiovascular events. Although a doctor would still consider advising ecosprin to you (BUT ONLY LOW DOSE), this will have to be greatly investigated and only then advised.

The only complications that can occur are also minimal. Thus, in my opinion, in your specific case, ecosprin will do no harm. Also, please avoid using other NSAID group of drugs along with ecosprin use.

The British papers only advise against it due to over-prescription by doctors, and ecosprin use in patients who have absolutely no risk factors. This article should only be relevant to those individuals who are taking ecosprin without any reason. Also, the ecosprin was advised to you by a doctor or it was self-prescribed?

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Is it safe to take ecosprin for blood pressure problem? 9 minutes later
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 minutes later
Hello once again sir.

Ecosprin 75 mg is a low dose. In some patients, even half a tablet of ecosprin 75 mg OD, is advised. But, the current dose taken by you is still considered a low dose. So do not worry.

If you would like to calculate your risk, you could enter your information into the following link and thus be informed.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you. I am sure you are fine sir, and so is the medication. Do not worry.

Best wishes.