Is it safe to take duphaston 10 mg bd at 5 weeks pregnancy?

hi dr . i am 5 wks pregnant , age 30., my doctor started me duphaston 10 mg bd , is it ok ? i have no past history of miscarriages.

my email id is YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sun, 11 Nov 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 2 hours later
Hello there.

Congratulations that you are pregnant.

Duphaston is a progesterone hormone tablet. This hormone supports early pregnancy and relaxes uterus. It is preferably used in threatened and habitual abortion (associated with proven progesterone deficiency). Pregnancies which have resulted after Artificial reproductive techniques (like IUI and IVF) are supported routinely with duphaston.
But if you have no such history or no pain or vaginal bleeding then use of hormone supplements is not justified. This is because even in threatened abortion, the role of duphaston to be 100 % effective in preventing abortion is still not proved.
Till now no side effects have been shown to the baby with duphaston use.
They are generally prescribed with aim of preventing the possibility of abortion though they are not 100 % effective in preventing abortion.
Medications which are not necessary should be avoided in pregnancy.

The only necessary medication which has to be taken by all pregnant females in their first 3 months is FOLIC ACID tablet which is taken once daily. So do keep taking this tablet.

I hope I have answered your query.