Is it safe to take carnisure-500 in pregnancy?

Is it safe to take Carnisure-500 in pregnancy? My wife who is obese (100kg)and has leg pain has been prescribed this.
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 53 minutes later

Carnisure is an anti-oxidant used in osteoarthritis for leg pain. It belongs to group C- FDA. In simple words animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus however there are no adequate studies in humans. These drugs are given if the benefits outweigh the risks.

I recommend you to
1. Discuss with your treating doctor about the need/benefits of carnisure-500, considering there is a risk to the fetus. Stop the drug if the benefits are not much.
2. You may use hot bags for symptomatic pain relief instead of medications.
3. Avoid putting on extra weight by healthy diet. Avoid dieting.
4. Take folic acid tablets.
5. Moderate exercise.
6. Stress free and healthy lifestyle.

Hope this helps. You may write to me anytime for further clarifications.

Regards and take care,
Dr Nilofer
Follow-up: Is it safe to take carnisure-500 in pregnancy? 42 hours later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for your reply. The treating doctor said that carnitor has been prescribed for the frequent cramps in the legs. The earlier pregnanacy terminiated in IUD and it appears that the treating doctor appears to be anxious to ensure that there are no complications whatsoever.

The treating doc says that carnitor is safe and there are no adverse side-effects.
The accompanying literature "USAGE In Pregnancy" states that studies in rats and rabbits have revealed no harm to the foetus, however there are no adequate studies in pregnant women and because animal reproduction reproductive studies are not always predictive of human response, the drug should be used in pregnancy only if "CLEARLY NEEDED" (emphasis added by me)
Just a small clarification. The doctor had prescribed Carnitor but since that was not available, she said carnisure can be taken. I have quoted carnitor and carnisure inter-changeably in my query as i believe that both are same. The reference to the literature accompanying the medicine was to the one supplied with "Carnisure-500" manufactured by Elder Pharmaceuticals
The patient is also using topical ointment. Do you think that ointment should be sufficient and the drug need not be taken? Or is there a safer drug that can be used?

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 10 minutes later
Thanks for your prompt reply.

If topical ointment is providing sufficient pain relief ,then its better to discontinue carnisure after discussing with your treating doctor.

Any drug which is taken orally has side effect to the fetus. Its always safe to use topical and locally acting drugs at least for the initial part of pregnancy (1st trimester).

Hope this helps. I will be glad to help if you need any more suggestions.

Dr Nilofer