Is it safe to take azithromycin along with doxycycline?

Mar 2016

I just wanted to know If doxycycline 100 Mg and 1 Gram of Azithromycin can be tajken together at the same time ? Does one drug cancel out the other , Or Make any interaction, with each other ? I think I have contarcted either Gonoreah or clamida and I read that These antibioutics treat these std's
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. S Patra 32 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to answer according to your query.

Both azithromycin and doxycycline are recommended in together for treatment & complete cure of sexually transmitted disease (STD) like gonorrhea or chlamydia. Also, there is no negative drug interaction in between them.

Doses & duration of drugs therapy are needed to be adjusted according to the severity of the diseases & other underlying factors. Therefore, you can consult with your treating doctor regarding this.

Maintenance of genital hygiene and practicing protected sex with condom are the key preventive measures against STD.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health in future.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Is it safe to take azithromycin along with doxycycline? 6 minutes later
If it is either gonorrhea or chlamydia , How long after treatment with the anitbiotics, Will The Puss seeping from the penis usually stop, Its puss mixed with a taint of blood, I have starting treating This 4 does ago, and there is still puss leaking out. when should the puss stop , how long of a time frame do you think ?

Answered by Dr. S Patra 30 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

Generally azithromycin is recommended for single dose & doxycycline for 7 days for complete cure. After that, you need to undergo one blood test for STD profile & urine examination & culture of urethral discharge (if persists).
In case of reinfection or resistant to above drugs, you may need to consult with your treating doctor for alternate drug therapy or repeat doses of given drugs for another course.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Take care of yourself and maintain genital hygiene properly.

Dr Soumen