Is it safe to take a double dose of Diltiazem? Have aFib. Cannot remember if dosage taken

Jan 2013

Can't remember if I took my daily dose of diltiazem er 180 mg
I'm a 53 year old male who had an episode of aFib in Feb 2012 and was converted when diltiazem introduced in vein. Believe the afib was caused from a high dose of gabapentin at the time for combat zone ptsd (retired Major)

Should I take another one or open up capsule and take 1 or 2 tablets that are inside?

Posted Fri, 14 Sep 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 3 hours later
"Atrial fibrillation as a side effect of gabapentin" has not been mentioned no where.
Gabapentin's most common side effects in adult patients include dizziness, fatigue, weight gain, drowsiness, and peripheral edema (swelling of extremities).
Persons who accidentally or intentionally ingested overdoses have manifested drowsiness, blurred vision, slurred speech and somnolence or coma.
You should not open the capsule. Capsules are made for their particular action and their integrity disturbs once the capsules are broken.
You should recheck your medicine strip and if you don't have then you should take it.
In case of any confusion, then you should take Diltiazem 60 mg tablet for continuing your treatment.
Diltaizem ER 180 is high dose and should be taken once in day.
Put your query if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava