Is it safe to take Tylenol and Xanax together and what is the remedy for anxiety and insomnia?
User rating for this question
Posted Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Explained below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to Healthcare Magic! I presume you will be taking the three Tylenol PM, one each at eight hourly intervals and the Xanax 1 mg each at six hourly intervals. There is no risk in taking Tylenol at the same time with Xanax for short duration in prescribed dosage in people who have a healthy liver. For Tylenol PM, you will need to be extra careful as Tylenol PM contains diphenhydramine which has a sedative effect. When you take it with Xanax 1 mg, you may feel drowsy. In my opinion, when you are on Xanax, you should take plain Tylenol in the daytime and take Tylenol PM only at the night time. If by any chance, you intend to take three tablets of Tylenol PM with each tablet of Xanax 1 mg four times a day, it would have a serious risk of excessive sedation which may impair your ability to drive and do other activities. It would also tax your liver a lot. Xanax will help control your anxiety for a short term and should not be continued for more than a few weeks. If you would be needing treatment for longer, then it would be better to start a safer medicine like a SSRI (Paxil, Zoloft etc) for anxiety and taper off Xanax after a few weeks when the SSRI starts working. Whenever you decide to stop Xanax, take care to taper it off as there are likely to be withdrawal symptoms. Hope this clears up things for you. Please feel free to ask if you need any clarifications. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry
People also viewed
- Is smz tmp ds used in the treatment of e. coli infection ?
- Can i take zantac for gastric ulcer maintenance treatment?
- Tylenol pm helps insomnia anxiety
- Anxiety attack after consuming vodka what could be wrong
- Anxiety insomnia natural remedies
- Will decadron treat mountain sickness / altitude sickness?
- Is tamiflu used in the treatment of influenza prophylaxis?
- Suffering with anxiety lightheadedness is it normal
- Anxiety insomnia tensed what is treatment
- What is the cure for insomnia and anxiety
- Can caffeine intake cause panic attack and anxiety
- Feeling constantly hungry nervousness and anxiety do i have hypoglycemia
- What is the alternative medication for insomnia and anxiety
- Is tandem used in the treatment of iron deficiency anemia?
- Why vomiting after food is it stress