Is it safe to take Thytrophin PMG?

ENT Specialist
I have hashimoto's thyroiditis and I have symptoms of both hyper and hypothyroidism. My lab levels are normal other than having elevated thyroid antibodies. My chiropractor prescribed me thytrophin pmg which is supposed to help with both hypo and hyper thyroidism by neutralizing the antibody attack. Is it safe for me to start 1 tablet a day and see if it works. I also take 20 mg of fluoxetine. I would like to try it because I really want to see if it would work for me and everything on the web says it's safe but I want to make sure it can't hurt?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 57 minutes later
Dear Lvanheijningen,

Thank you for your query.

1. Hashimoto's thyroiditis is the most common cause of thyroiditis. However there are other causes and types. You should consult an endocrinologist. An FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology), or a Thyroid Scan, may be done in addition to thyroid antibodies to confirm the diagnosis.

2. You may need other medication in addition to Thytrophin PMG. These include thyroxine, anti-inflammatory agents, steroids or beta blockers. these should only be taken under medical supervision.

3. The hypothyroidism caused by thyroiditis (initially sub-clinical) is often misdiagnosed as an anxiety disorder. You may be on fluoxitine because of this condition.

4. Seven years is a surprisingly long time between diagnosis and persisting symptoms. You should consult an endocrinologist as soon as possible.

5. Meanwhile, it is safe for you to have Thytrophin PMG with Fluoxitine because Thytrophin PMG is a dietary supplement and does not contain thyroxine.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.