Is it safe to take Stablon for IBS and anxiety? Will taking alcohol be fatal?

Question
stablon for ibs and anxiety ........ is it a safe drug and if taken twice day will be effective and lastly if taken alcohol occasionally would not be fatal?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Anxiety and Stress

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later

Stablon, which contains the drug tianeptine, is a safe drug when used in the right dosage and under the guidance of your treating physician. Side effects include suicidal tendency, insomnia, diminished alertness, gastrointestinal upset, dry mouth and constipation. Please be cautious when you are driving or using heavy machinery. Also, please consult your physician immediately if you have any disturbing thoughts or your symptoms get worse.

Alcohol does not have a significant interaction with this drug, so it will not be fatal, provided limited quantities of alcohol are taken. However, as a general rule, alcohol and anti-depressants should not be taken together. Also, alcohol reduces the absorption of this drug, so it may not be that effective.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Follow-up: Is it safe to take Stablon for IBS and anxiety? Will taking alcohol be fatal? 1 hour later
Thx a ton XXXXXXX for such a precise answer to my question ... I'm thankfull to your for such a prompt reply , I would not take much more of your time and ask one last query to keep my troubled mind at ease , if taking only 1 tab in the morning and getting enough releif ... I hope this won't be an issue as I hope its not necessary to take 3 doses a day .... Thanks a ton again .. I don't hold you responsible for anyanythin . Its just I want an opinion

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 9 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

If you're responding well to a reduced dosage, there is no reason for you to take a higher dose of the drug. The reason is that it has been seen in some patients, that these drugs become progressively less effective in relieving symptoms. So if you stick to a lower dose and if you stop responding, the option of switching you to a higher dose (and more importantly, an equally safe one) always exists.

Additionally, since anxiety contributes to a large part of the symptoms in IBS, practicing XXXXXXX breathing and yoga will also produce significant relief.

However, I would suggest that you talk to your physician also about this and confirm this.