Is it safe to take Regestrone or Susten 300 mg to postpone periods ?

i am 32, height.4.8 and weight 65, i ahve irregular periods form last 6 months, and no abnormalities as per my doctor, i am married for 4 years and trying to conceive desperately .my this month's period is on 6th july and as i am travelling i want to post pone my period can i take regestrone tab , or can i take susten 300 mg to post pone the periods. sugest me something which should prevent my baby even if ia am pregnant.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 34 minutes later

Regesterone contains norethisterone which is often used to treat premenstrual syndrome, painful periods, abnormal heavy bleeding, irregular periods, menopausal syndrome (in combination with oestrogen), or to postpone a period.

The dose is 5mg three times a day starting 3-4 days before a period is due. It can be continued for up to 2 weeks or so until you want to have a period.

But it is advisable to use this drug in pregnancy only after a doctor’s prescription. It is not to be taken without a medical supervision in pregnancy. Your doctor may decide that the benefits outweigh the risks in individual circumstances and after a careful assessment of your specific health situation can prescribe this drug.

Susten contains micronized progesterone and is often prescribed in pregnancy to maintain pregnancy and is not very useful for delaying periods.

You can take regesterone under your gynecologist’s guidance.

Hope this answers your query.

If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Is it safe to take Regestrone or Susten 300 mg to postpone periods ? 15 hours later
but will regesterone affects preganancy? if i have in this month?
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 8 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Regesterone is the brand name of a medicine called norethinsterone. It is a progestogen and should not be taken if you are pregnant. If you are suspecting pregnancy, then take regesterone only under a medical guidance. It is not to be taken in early pregnancy.

Hope this answers your query.