Is it safe to take Prozac and welbutrin together for depression?

Yes, Doctor, my question is if it is OK to take Prozac 20mg and welbutrin 150mg in order to get a better treatment for depression.
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Only one drug usually suffice Detailed Answer: hello and welcome to HCM! You have aged if it is ok to take Prozac 20 mg( fluoxetine ) & wellbutrin( bupropion) 150 mg together for depression. There are two sides of answer- 1. it is mostly not required that we choose two drugs for treating same conduction ,( until there are specific indications for it). A doctor should always avoid poly pharmacy where ever possible: to reduce the number of drugs, to reduce inter drug interaction and to reduce the side effects 2. it seems inaaproprite to me if you are taking both of them in starting of treatment. The dosage of both the medicine is low, one can easily increase any one of them and sop the other one. 3. only in certain cases, we go for two medicine for treating same condition.... So, if you have just begun taking medicines, and it's just depressive disorder, then for my clinical experince I can say that you should try one medicine at a time and see the response. In most cases, one has good results with just one drug for simple case of depression. ### Your doctor would know this, please consult him and discuss these points. However, if there is more detail to your query which you have not mentioned, please feel free to ask questions for clarifications. If you are satisfied, then kidly rate the answer,and close the query. Dr. Manisha Gopal MD Psychaitry