Is it safe to take Prednisolone?

General Surgeon
I was prescribed prednisolone 25mg tablets after I have developed itching reaction from antibiotics, I was taking two at the same time flulocacillin (staphylex) and one for urine infection which I never had (the result for. My urine pathology tests were clear) Alprim. The dosage of the prednisolone I have taken was 2 tablets for 3 days then 1 tablet for 2 days then 1/2 tablet for two days then stop. It's been two days since I've stopped and the itching continued and felt even worst so I went back to another doctor who has advised to start taking prednisolone again. I am bit worried after I have read that these are steroids and can affect the immune system. Should I start taking them again or just stick to antihistamine tablets. How long does it take for the antibiotic reaction to clear from my system as I am very uncomfortable and I wake up few times in the middle of the night as my whole body is itchy
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: you can take prednisolone again Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX This is Dr. Ashish Verma, a general surgeon, answering to your query. Yes, steroids do have a bad effect on the immune system, but that is on prolonged usage over months. This one weeks tapering regimen is harmless. You can repeat the same course for one more time without any worry. You may continue the antihistaminics for added relief. The antitibiotic reaction will take a few more days to subside. Hope that i have answered to all your queries. If you have further queries, i will be glad to answer them. Get well soon. Dr. Ashish Verma
Follow-up: Is it safe to take Prednisolone? 8 hours later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX I will start taking another dose of Predinsolone. I didn't mention that I had the itch for 2 weeks now. How long does the antibiotic reaction stays in the body? Also is it safe to go sweeming in a salt water pool? I have been avoiding the sun. Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 3 hours later
Brief Answer: the reaction may last for a couple of weeks Detailed Answer: Hi, The antibiotic reaction may last from a few days to a few weeks...there is person to person variation... the metabolites sometimes get deposited under the skin and take time to get eliminated... You can go for problem... and even in sun....dont know how you may react in the first keep the exposure brief...if no problem occurs, you can continue... Drink plenty of fluids to wash off the metabolites. Regards,