Is it safe to take Ocid empty stomach during pregnancy?

My wife, who is in her 6th month of pregnancy, has to undergo wisdom tooth extraction. She has been advised Ocid 20mg empty stomach which doesn't fall under B category (it is C category). Is it safe to take this medicine ?? What is the relevance of this medicine in tooth extraction procedure ??
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX There is insufficient evidence in medical literature about safety of medicine Ocid (omeprazole) in pregnancy. You are right in stating that it is category C medicine. I would avoid prescribing category C medicine to my patients during pregnancy. Omeprazole is prescribed for gastric acidity related symptoms. I cannot think of the rationale of prescribing omeprazole for wisdom tooth extraction. You need to check with the prescribing doctor. Take care Dr Vaishalee