Is it safe to take Montemac-Fx and Deriphyllin for a long period?

I was advised to take Montemac-Fx once a day in night for my dry cough along with Deriphyllin retard 150 .There is relief in my symptoms.Can i continue to take these medicines for long periods,and for how long? Is it habit forming or have any side effects
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: All drugs have side effects.Get advised tests done Detailed Answer: Hi Mr. XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Before addressing to your specific query, it would be beneficial for you to learn about the possibilities and their implications. Persistent dry cough is suggestive of either, onset of early asthma or, allergic inflammation of lungs (due to either worms infestations or following a bacterial/viral infection). In both conditions, the prescribed medicines will relieve the symptoms as long as your continue to take them. However, the duration of treatment would depend on the diagnosis. You may therefore get your blood tested for TCL, DLC and Absolute eosinophil count; blood test for presence of microfilaria; and, Pulmonary Function Test (for asthma). The modality of treatment and its duration will depend on the tests' reports. Coming back to your specific query : all drugs- if taken for a long time- will cause some side effects. Since Asthma is a long-term disease, you may have to continue with the treatment life-long. In such case, it would be strongly advisable to take Salbutamol inhaler (instead of oral Deriphyllin Retard, which has much more side effects than Salbutamol inhaler). Salbutamol inhaler will be equally effective in a fraction of a dose of Deriphyllin. On the other hand, treatable conditions like Tropical Pulmonary Eosinophilia (TPE) and worms infestation, a short course of appropriate treatment will cure your dry cough. None of the drugs is addictive, but have their own side effects, as already mentioned. However, you may continue with Montemac-Fx for the time being, till you get the tests done and a specific diagnosis is made. THE DURATION FOR WHICH IT IS TO BE TAKEN, WILL DEPEND ON THE DIAGNOSIS. Lastly, dry cough may also be the first indication of a failing heart, particularly in long-standing hypertension and not under adequate control. So, maintain your BP under tight control. It would be a good idea to get an ECG and 2-D Echo done to assess the functional status of the heart. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with me; order the advised tests, and- based on the reports- will prescribe suitable treatment as advised. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal