Is it safe to take Medi-C plus and Bio Omega 3 Pure for maitaining health and good cardiovacular?

Hello, I read some positive articles re: Dr Gifford XXXXXXX Medi-C plus. It's in crystal form and mixed with water. I've been uisng it for 3 months. Each scoop taken daily contains: 2000mg of Vitamin C (calcium ascorbate, ascorbic acid) 179mg of Calcium (calcium ascorbate) 1300 L-Lysine hydrochloride I've also been taking 1-2 teaspoons of Bio-Omega 3 Pure. 1 teaspoon contains: 4617.5 mg of fish oil ( TG form - molecularly distilled from anchovy, sardine and mackeral.) 1500mg of EPA 500mg of DHA 250 mg of other omega-3 fatty acids. I've read DHA can actually increase LDL levels? I was told these products are good for maitaining health and good cardiovacular? And if so, should they always be taken or...take 1 month, stop, take again, stop? thanks
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Will not recommend Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. Firstly about Dr Gifford XXXXXXX Medi-C plus. It contains calcium. It should not be taken for prolonged periods(more than 1 month) if there is no documented calcium deficiency. Calcium can precipitate in tissues if taken unnecessarily and may cause kidney stones etc. Next about omega capsules. The DHA etc found in fishes are not chemically same as found in humans. Thus these chemicals can cause side effects like indigestion, bloating, anorexia, infections, flu-like condition, etc. Thus contrary to popular belief, I think it should not be employed for routine use to prevent any condition. It should be used with caution, if it is being used as add-on therapy to other medicines to treat a condition. As concerned its effect on LDL, research has shown inconsistent results. All natural products are marketed by promising some miraculous cure of some serious ailments. I personally think that it should not be used even once. Regards. Dr Vaishalee