Is it safe to take Lymecycline during pregnancy?

May 2013
I am currently taking Lymecycline and found out 6 weeks ago that I am pregnant. I am 11 weeks pregnant tomorrow. My doctors know that I am pregnant and know I take Lymecycline but have not told me to stop taking it and I am worried as I have just found out in the internet that it is XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 9 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 4 hours later
Brief Answer: May affect fetal skeletal system Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Lymecycline belongs to tetracycline antibiotics. According to studies tetracycline antibiotics can affect the development of fetal skeleton and teeth. So, better to stop the drug. If you have taken the medicine for more than three weeks, the possibility of teratogenic effect is there. Discuss this with your doctor and follow her advice. If it is precious pregnancy to you, you can continue with regular antenatal checkups and ultrasound examinations. If you are multiparous, you may think of abortion. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.