Is it safe to take Kaopectate for withdrawal induced diarrhea?

Hi, I am severe diarrhea associated with the cessation of taking Klonopin. I haven't taken it in 13 days. Is it safe to take Kaopectate for this?
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No significant interaction Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query You can take Kaopectate, it is safe to take this medication for withdrawal induced diarrhea. There is no interaction between Klonopin and Kaopectate as well You are right about the addictive properties of both these drugs. For ankylosing spondylitis Inj Rituximab has been successfully tried at some centers, it has to be taken once a week for 4 weeks. Approach your orthopedician with my suggestion. I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me I wish you good health and a speedy recovery Regards
Follow-up: Is it safe to take Kaopectate for withdrawal induced diarrhea? 13 hours later
Thank you so much. I'm a little worried that my electrolytes may be off due to the hot showers & diarrhea. Would you recommend something like Gatorade or Pedialyte to deal with this? I quit the Klonopin and the Tramadol cold without any kind of weaning. My rheumatologist is the doctor who put me on these meds and then she told me to follow up with my GP. I did call him and he knows what I'm dealing with but I haven't been seen. I just don't want to end up in the hospital. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later
Brief Answer: ORS XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for getting back and I am happy I was of help to you Here is what I suggest, severe diarrhea most often causes dehydration and loss of electrolytes especially sodium and potassium to counter it the best approach is to buy yourself an ORS XXXXXXX mix it in 1 litre of water and drink it sip by sip. This will replenish water and electrolytes in a balanced way Do not drink it like juice as this itself causes increased bowel movements. Avoid 1. Milk and milk products 2. Alcohol 3. Coffee, tea and smoking I wish you good health and a speedy recovery Regards