Is it safe to take I- glutathione for skin whitening along with vitamin C?

Hello.Please let me know whether it is safe to take l-glutathione capsules orally as a skin whitening agent to lighten skin tone along with a dosage of vitamin C?
Posted Sun, 3 Jun 2012 in Beauty & Cosmetics
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

Yes, it is safe to take I-glutathione orally along with vitamin C.

Glutathione is naturally present in our body as well as vitamin C, so there is no harm in taking these two supplements together.

Hope this answers your query.

Please write back if you have any more queries.

Follow-up: Is it safe to take I- glutathione for skin whitening along with vitamin C? 1 hour later
thank you doctor for your reply. Pertaining to my question i also wanted to know whether it is it effective as a skin lightening agent and is a doasge of 1000mg-glutathione with 1000mg-vitamin C advisable in this case.Besides this i have no further queries.thanking you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 28 minutes later
Hi again XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing back.

The recommended daily dietary intake for vitamin-C is 75 mg/day and maximum tolerable level is up to 2,000 mg/day.

Glutathione on the other hand is a peptide(A simple protein) which is synthesised by human beings as per their need.

Since it is a simple protein, the absorption after consuming it orally is very minimal.

Glutathione is an antioxidant as vitamin C is, both of them do prevent oxidative damage to the cells.

But there are no comprehensive studies to show the effectiveness of glutathione as a skin whitening agent.

If you are looking for a better and reliable results, I suggest you consult a dermatologist in your area and ask for retinoids.

You can continue to take vitamin-C and glutathione supplements, as they do not have any harmful effects in the dosage that you are taking.

Hope this information helps you.