Is it safe to take Hydrocodone tablets every 4 to 6 hours?

Recently had knee manipulation after total knee replacement. I was taking hydrocodone 10/325 every 6 hrs. Now Dr said I could take 1 to 2 every 4 to 6 hrs. That seems like a lot. Is that dosage safe?
Posted Mon, 17 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: can be used 1 tab every 4 to 6 hours Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic This is a combination of 10mg of hydrocodone with 325 mg of acetaminophen (commonly known as paracetamol). It is normally prescribed as 1 tablet every 4 to 6 hours, not using more than 6 tablets within a 24 hour window. You can increase your dose slightly as suggested by your doctor but it would be best not to exceed the 6 tabs/ 24 hours to reduce the chances of side effects. If the pain is controlled on the lower dose, then you can continue using it this way. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions