Is it safe to take Folvite and Doxinate during pregnancy?

Hello dr, I have been told to start with folvite 5mg. . I already take doxinate 2 tablets once at bedtime..but I dnt have any morning sickness yet.. I am 5 weeks pregnant. .how safe are both the medicines ? I have a family history of congenital heart defect. Plz help.
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Prasad 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: These are very safe... Detailed Answer: Hi, I hope you are aware that folvite is a folic acid (vitamin b9) and doxinate is an antihistamine with antinausea properties. Both these pills are safe during pregnancy. In fact folic acid has more important role in the neurodevelopment of your baby; please start them as instructed by your doctor without doubts. As far as Doxinate is concerned, it isn't absolutely necessary if you have no nausea or vomiting. Keep them as emergency pills in your bag or purse. You can take them one pill as and when you develop nausea. Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow-up: Is it safe to take Folvite and Doxinate during pregnancy? 10 minutes later
Thank u dr.. but I have this one doubt regarding the amount of folic acid a pregnant woman can take.. I may sound stupid..but this is my 1st pregnancy.. and I have heard that less or no intake may lead to birth defect and more of it can cause nerve damage .. is it true.? I am taking folvite 5mg .
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: 5mg per day is the choice.. Detailed Answer: Folic acid is routinely prescribed at 5mg once a day for atleast first 3 months of pregnancy. Your doctor has prescribed the right dose. Hope it is clear. You are free to ask for clarifications if any before closing the discussion. Best Regards