Is it safe to take Fluanxol for anxiety ahead of a presentation?

I have been prescribed 0.5mg of fluanxol for anxiety ahead of a presentation but am sceptical
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: I feel same way. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX I dont think you should take it just for presentation.This drug takes few days before showing optimal effects.Also it has got side effects. Also personally I dont feel you should take any medications prior to presentation.Other potion is short acting beta blockers they might help you feel calmer during presentation. But as mentioned early even taking them also is not the best idea. Regards
Follow-up: Is it safe to take Fluanxol for anxiety ahead of a presentation? 50 minutes later
well, my doctor's view is that it will kick in by the time of the presentation ie Monday evening! Wednesday today. I am concerned re side effects and also being dependent. Her view is the dose is ultra-low and therefore there is no issue with that. I have also been given Vata Pacifier at the health shop: contains valerian, passiflora, sativa, lavender, magnolia, orange blossom and Scutelleria etc...a natural remedy. Any view on that? Rescue remedy has not helped me! I become shaky etc. Only sometimes though....I am used to public speaking, it's just specific situations which make me tense at times.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: I am not worried of side effects for first time. Detailed Answer: But taking such drugs is actually bypassing the natural reaction of body to such situation and with time you tend use them repeatedly and then get dependent.It happens slowly and one might get habitual over a period. And most of time the effect of this drugs is just placebo effect. So take it if its absolutely necessary and if the presentation is extremely important. I am sorry.I am unaware of natural remedy you mentioned. Regards.