Is it safe to take Enzar HS during pregnancy?

Mar 2016

Hi, My 19th week is running, doctor prescribed me Enzar HS, I took it for 5 days is it safe as I was reading online it suggest that pancreatin may be harmful in pregnancy.
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. ENZAR HS contains Pancreatin as ingredient. It is a Pregnancy Category C drug and usually given in pancreatic insufficiency. Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are NO adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks. At this stage (19th week), Pancreatin is NOT so harmful as Fetal Organogenesis is already completed in first trimester. However, it is better to stop taking if there is no such indication for you. Kindly, consult with your obstetrician regarding this. Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Good luck and wish your successful motherhood. Regards, Dr Soumen