Is it safe to take Ebexid tablet during pregnancy?

Question
Hi Doctors, I am in the 15th week of pregnancy. My doctor who is a renowned gynecologist had advised me EBEXID tablet to take once daily at night. I have been taking the same along with folic acid and calcium vimD3 tablets since the 4th week. After reading some of the blogs on EBEXID tablet, I am concerned as it is advised not to take during pregnancy. Please help me as to why my doctor has prescribed EBEXID for me. Below are my details and Some of the test readings taken during 5th week of my pregnancy are: Age - 25years Weight - 50Kg Haemoglobin - 11.7 gms/dl Random Blood sugar - 88mg/dl TSH - 3.10 ulU/ml Urine test: PH - 6 Alubin,Sugar,ketone bodies,Urobilinogen, bile pigment, bile salt are absent Specific gravity - 1.010 PUS cells 1-2/hpf Epithelial cells 3-5/hpf RBC,crystals,cast,other are nil. EBEXID is tablet of Thyroid and pyridoxine hydrochloride. Please help. thanks.
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Recheck your thyroid profile Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX Ebexid tablet is usually given for the patients with confirmed thyroid disorders. In your case as the TSH level is not so high to call it hypothyroidism. What I suggest you is get Free T3, T4 and TSH levels checked and it it shows low thyroid values, then you might need thyroid supplementation like THYROXINE tablets rather than taking ebexid tab. I usually don't use this medication unless it is medically indicated and a known hypothyroid patient. And all your other investigations are normal. Kindly do not worry. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!

Follow-up: Is it safe to take Ebexid tablet during pregnancy? 3 minutes later
This is a pregnancy case doctor. Please let me know if this can be or avoided during pregnancy? If it should be avoided then why has my doctor prescribed this at first place during pregnancy????

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Kindly avoid this medication. Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXX, Thank you for the follow up question. I know you are pregnant, yes this can be avoided as there is no role of giving this medication in your case. Hence I suggested you to get a thyroid profile (refer my previous answer) and if there is hypothyroidism then you need thyroid supplementation. Regarding your questions: Please let me know if this can be or avoided during pregnancy? Yes you can avoid it. Kindly get your blood tested for free T3, T4 and TSH levels in a good lab, depending on the results treatment can be planned. But according to me you need to stop this medication. If it should be avoided then why has my doctor prescribed this at first place during pregnancy???? As your TSH level is in borderline, thinking you might be hypothyroid could be the reason. But you need to talk with your doctor directly regarding this. I usually do not use this medication for hypothyroidism, rather I put my patients on Thyroxine supplemantation which is the recommended. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!

Follow-up: Is it safe to take Ebexid tablet during pregnancy? 11 hours later
Since I have already consumed this tablet(Ebexid) for past two months can you please suggest what could be the side effect of this to me and my baby. Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Not a teratogenic drug. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXX, I apologize for the late response; I was away from my computer due to unavoidable reasons. Coming back to your question, Ebexid contains Thyroid I, which could be iodine. Its main function is to enhance the thyroid hormone production. It is not a contraindicated drug and NOT a teratogenic drug also. Though you have taken it for 2months, there wont be any major problem as such. Why I advised you to stop this medication was to CONFIRM if you are hypothyroid or not or if sub-clinical hypothyroidism, which can be confirmed only if you check your free T3, T4 levels. If you are really hypothyroid then you need to take THYROXINE supplementation rather than taking ebexid. Ebexid also contains Pyridoxine which is absolutely safe in pregnancy. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!