Is it safe to take Disprin after drinking alcohol?

Cardiologist
Question
is it safe to take disprin after drinking alcohol
Posted Sun, 29 Jul 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in Cardiology.

The simple answer to your question is NO. Alcohol causes irritation of inner lining of stomach (Gastritis). Which may lead to pain in upper abdomen, vomiting at times blood in hematemesis (blood in vomiting). If you take plain Dispirin (as opposed to enteric coated) it will further cause more gastritis. It may lead to Gastro esophageal reflux disease (that is GERD that is spilling acidic stomach contents to food pipe) which causes burning sensation in upper abdomen + mid line lower chest and vomiting. If you take enteric coated tablets of dispirin (strength available is 75,150) it will not be absorbed in stomach so effect, which is in minutes will occur in a hour and half's time. So, if you are taking for headache, you have to wait that much longer.

Less gastritis is caused by paracetamol (Crocin, calpol) 500 mg, but again this should not be taken with alcohol empty stomach. If I know why you want to take these pain medicines I can tell you more substitutes. Please ask a followup query, I shall be happy to answer.

With Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Is it safe to take Disprin after drinking alcohol? 5 hours later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX Can you please tell me more about the substitutes?

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Sure, Mr XXXXXXX

If it is headache or body ache you are taking medicine best is not take anything orally but apply balm, move, voveran or piroxicam gel. These are counter irritant drugs and not absorbed. Next on the list is the drug which causes least gastric irritation, as mentioned before paracetamol generic name trade name Crocin, Calpol, next comes is Ibubrufen (Brufen 200 mg). If relief is not needed within minutes then enteric coated aspirin is the best choice, it will take an hour. Others are narcotic drugs and available on prescription which are namely Tramadazole (Tramacip), Dextropropoxephene XXXXXXX (Spasmocip). Please tell me why you want to take aspirin, I will you the better method than taking oral drugs immediately after alcohol.
With Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW