Is it safe to take Diclofenac and Minoxidil at the same time?

Question
If a person is taking minoxidil and a different doc prescreibes diclofenac cream 5%, is it safe to use the topical at the same time as taking the minoxidil? I believe they are both anti-inflamatory drugs and wanted to know the risks of using both simulatneously.
Posted Wed, 5 Sep 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 41 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Minoxidil is antihypertensive. It acts by causing vasodilatation.

Its lotion is used to treat male pattern baldness.

Diclofenac cream is only anti-inflammatory, used for local pain relief.

Thus there will be no problem due to application of Diclofenac cream, while taking minoxidil tablet.

Thanks for trusting XXXXXXX and posting your query.

Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

If you have further concerns in this regard, I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.

With good wishes,

Dr.Chandra Shekhar Sharma

Follow-up: Is it safe to take Diclofenac and Minoxidil at the same time? 50 minutes later
Sorry - I typed in the wrong drug from a list I was looking at. My concern is actually between the topical form of Diclofenac 5% cream and the oral drug Meloxicam. So the question is can a person who is taking Meloxicam orally feel safe using the topical application of Diclofenac. Patient is 53 years old, has bone spurs in her shoulders which are causing a great deal of pain (hence first doc prescribed the Meloxicam), but at the same time is awaiting bunion surgery, has very swollen painful feet (hence the topical Diclofenac cream). Is it safe to use both simultaneously?

Other than this, she is in generally good health, does not smoke, rarely sick even with a cold. Thanks for allowing the followup question. I realized I had asked the wrong thing the first time when i read your response about male pattern baldness.

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 11 hours later

Welcome again,

Meloxicam and Diclofenac, both are non steroid anti-inflammatory drugs, and doesn't interact with each other.

Mechanism of action of both drugs is same.

As both are metabolized through liver, Diclofenac shouldn't be given iv, if patient is taking Meloxicam. Local application is not expected to produce any harm.

Local application of Diclofenac is useful only, if swelling is due to inflammation.

Meloxicam will be already reaching leg through blood to produce anti-inflammatory action. Thus local application of similar drug is nit required.

With good wishes,

Dr.Chandra Shekhar Sharma