Is it safe to take Arava while trying to conceive?

Hello - I have had a myriad of health issues - my Immuno wants me to take Arava now.. I have only taken one tablet so far - we wanted to try for a baby, but I see that we cant as Arava can cause birth defects - Being on the very very very safe side, how long would i have to be of Arava - beofe we could be absolutely certain that we could concieve without birth how long would I need to wait after a 6 month trial... and also if I stopped now after only one tablet... how long before we could go and freeze some sperm?
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 44 hours later
Brief Answer: Please refer below Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. ARAVA may cause birth defects if taken during pregnancy. However, current information does not suggest that ARAVA may cause male-mediated fetal toxicity. But, specific animal studies have not been performed to address this issue. So, to be on extremely safe side, male patients on ARAVA, who want to father a child (or freeze sperms), should discontinue ARAVA and take cholestyramine for 11 days (to facilitate clearing of ARAVA from body). Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.