Is it safe to take Alnagest during pregnancy?

Mar 2013
Today my scans showed I was 7 weeks preg whereas,as per my lmp I am 8 weeks. My gyn has prescribed me alnagest 200 twice a day for one month . Should i take the tablets ? Is it safe ? What are the s ide effects?
Posted Fri, 7 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: NATURAL MICRONIZED PROGESTERONE - SAFE TO TAKE IT. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Alnagest contains natural micronized progesterone. Progesterone is the supportive hormone that nurtures growing pregnancy. It is particularly recommended to be given to support the pregnancy in high risk cases. In your case, the first risk factor is the history of prior one abortion. The second factor is that the embryonic growth is lagging behind by one week. Progesterone supplementation significantly reduces the risk of miscarriage, and provides support to your baby. Yes , please take the tablets as prescribed. Only remember that oral progesterone therapy is not much effective, and has many side effects. Vaginal therapy is much more safe and effective. The side effects with this dosage are very less and very rare. They include nausea, headache, breast tenderness, mood swings, bloating feeling and jaundice. You should not worry about the side effects as they are very rare and occur with high dosage, not at this dosage. Please have no apprehension in taking the therapy as indicated. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.