Is it safe to take Alkaseltzer Plus for extended period of time?

Can a person take an appropriate dose of Alkaseltzer Plus for an extended period of time? For instance, can my son take a single dose daily for several weeks?
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later
it is not XXXXXXX as long as he is taking the right dosage. However, if his problem has been persistent that long, he should get evaluated by his doctor to understand why he still needs the medicine. also, XXXXXXX seltzer is not a good way to treat heartburn because it has aspirin which could make the problem worse, he should consider taking Zantac or Prilosec instead
Follow-up: Is it safe to take Alkaseltzer Plus for extended period of time? 13 days later
He uses it when he feels a migraine coming on.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: XXXXXXX seltzer is not the right drug for Migraine Detailed Answer: Hi, XXXXXXX Seltzer is not the right drug for Migraine or prevent the attack of Migraine. We generally recommend Sumatriptan/Rizatriptan plus Magnesium plus Riboflavin to prevent / severity of migraine. It is not right to use this medicine over extended period of time when there is no proved benefit. It can possibly cause addiction and rebound headaches. Probably your son has rebound headaches because of its use. I sincerely suggest to consult a GP in your local area and take appropriate treatment. If the consulltation is delayed I prefer to use low dose Ibuprofen like ADVIL / MOTRIL 200mg to 600mg along with Prilosec. Hope this is helpful.