Is it safe to take Adderall?

1. Is the use of Adderall with adults that comply and are within the scope of acceptability a risk, a rarity, or somewhat acceptable. Age 61, started taking Adderall 15 years ago. Opinion requested, - depends, possibly, not good practice, it occurs, but I wouldn't do it. More info needed to answer. I take 20 mg ,t.i.d. Wt. 263 pounds. BP OK, cardio within parameters. Very effective in my judgement.
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 45 minutes later

Thanks for the query

Adderall contains combination of amphetamine and dextroamphetamine, that run the risk of dependence

They are helpful for adult ADHD, though Attomoxetine may be considered an alternative in individuals who are substance dependent or have vulnerability to develop substance dependence

Otherwise, use of Adderal is acceptable in conditions like adult ADHD; 20 mg t.i.d is not inappropriate dose

Risk of dependence is more likely if : dose requirement is getting more and more gradually, the client craves for the adderal, the effect gradually reduces with the previous dose of Adderal, client predominantly takes it for getting"high" etc

If such above situations are there, then one need to consult the deaddiction centre / psychiatrist

Hope this address your concern

Wish you good luck

I am available for further query
Follow-up: Is it safe to take Adderall? 23 minutes later
No Hx of increasing dosage on own initiative. I only take them about half the time the Dr wants me to. No tolerance or misuse. Adjunct to reduction of deficit. No craving or addition for many years. I always reduce and halt intake every three to four days.
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 3 hours later
Then I think, there should not be any issue.

None the less, it is always a good idea to be in regular follow up with you doctor, may not be too frequently, but at longer interval

Wish you a good physical and mental health
Follow-up: Is it safe to take Adderall? 5 hours later
I decline acceptability of answer as too vague, unsatisfactory in length . I wish to decline Pygmy.
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 7 hours later
I respect your view point of declining the acceptability.

Can you please clarify the what aspects of the answer to which part of your question is vague, so that I will learn and improve.

Do you want straight one line answer to your question, if so, can be provided without any problem, I felt I would provide an elaborated answer

After all, I, as a doctor believe in the fact that client is God

I await your response
Follow-up: Is it safe to take Adderall? 6 days later
RE: Dr. S. Padhy- I don' take fault in your answer. Many younger Pt's. DO abuse a C-II sympathomemetics like D- amphetamine/ amphetamine mixed combo salts. In general, those in the know at age 60 or above are more responsible and adhere to directions. A simple answer is difficult. The tendency to increase the dosages of psychologically addictive C-II's are a concern. Many do not realize they have a degree of self assurance that they don't have a abuse problem and are in denial. This could be correct or less than deleterious to the Pt. I for one, am reluctant to take the amount directed and take < the directions state. I must state however, that the judicious use of a FDA approved drug offering a excellent effective outcome can be a truly god sent medication for those Pt's that have shown remarkable marked improvement in social economic outcomes, and ending the recaltricent symptomology.
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 1 hour later

Thank you for the elaboration of your inner thoughts

The points that you are mentioning are true, I agree. Therefore professionals do prescribe these drugs and research has supported its efficacy in such diagnosis

In addition, along the same line, some do not develop dependence. But some do develop addiction. And who is likely to develop dependence and how to identify early in the best interest of the client, is what we were discussing, before.

Yes, one has to balance the risk and benefits of a drug being used. And this broader principle is applicable to any drug for that matter.