Is it safe to stop taking Metformin after being cured of bulimia nervosa?

I am 24 year old female and have had bulimia nervosa for nearly four years now. It has nearly destroyed my mental and physical health. Despite purging everything I eat, I still gained weight. I know this is because some calories and fat are absorbed, but I never binged on high calorie food. I was addicted to sweets and needed them every day and they would control me. This was not an issue about my appearance, or mindset, I did it purely to stop the rapid weight gain I would experience even if I ate a maxiumum of 700 calories a day.

However recently, I had blood sugar levels tested and they found they were quite high after fasting and my doctor prescribed metformin 1000mg daily. This drug literally transformed my life, I can eat healthiely, up to 1,500 calories daily, I do not crave any sugar and I have not purged in one week, and my weight has stayed the same. I feel like someone gave me my life back.

However, I just the results back from a second test, I did pre-metformin taking and they came back normal, so my doctor thinks I should go of the medicence. I do not think I can go back to purging all the time and such rapid weight loss.

Is it safe to stay on Metformin?
i just do not want to back to destroying my body the way I did, and gaining 3 pounds every 2day. I am currently a healthy way 5 foot 2 and 120lbs.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Weight Loss
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 1 hour later

First of all I would like to congratulate you on breaking away from your habit.

Now let me assure you about your safety concern regarding Metformin.

Basically metformin is an anti-diabetic drug used to control diabetes in patients. This drug is indicated especially in obese which help them reduce weight and also decrease their craving for high calorie food like sweets.

In your case your doctor has prescribed you the drug so as to control you blood sugar. This has given you dual benefits firstly by reducing your blood sugar level and secondly my reducing your craving for sugary foods.

Therefore i suggest you continue Metformin. There are no major side effects on prolonged use. And do check your sugar levels at an regular 6-8 week interval. Based on which Metformin dose adjustments can be made.

It has been a pleasure providing you with an answer which I hope has been adequate and informative. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.