Is it safe to stop losartan when blood pressure is average?

Is it XXXXXXX to stopping losartan when blood pressure averages 125/72?
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 18 minutes later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic!
Your blood pressure is in normal range but it is because blood pressure medicine has restored it to normal. Abruptly stopping the Losartan can be disastrous because it can lead to rebound hypertension and which can be detrimental.
At best you should taper it in monitoring and advise of a physician, who would know the method to wean off if possible.
I hope the advise would be helpful.
Follow-up: Is it safe to stop losartan when blood pressure is average? 3 hours later
My blood pressure reads in the normal range after stopping losartan 10 days ago, but there is fluid retention starting 3 days ago.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 14 minutes later
Welcome back to healthcare magic!
The antihypertensives have myriad functions apart from lowering BP. The fluid retention and swelling is a sign of failing heart function or deranged kidney function. Both of which are serious troubles and should be evaluated by a physician and must be investigated and treated without delay.
Because delaying may complicate the clinical scenario like this.
I hope you would get benefited with my advise.
Wish you a good health.