Is it safe to stop HCTZ and start losartan when suffering from Parkinsons?

I have been on Losart HCTZ for over 3 years. I found out that I have Parkinson's disease at the same time. My doctor just changed my med to losartan 100'without telling me me. I am also on drugs that it has a reaction with. I will call my doctor when the office opens up. I just wanted to hear what you have to say.
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Removing the HCTZ component was a good decision Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. First of all ma'am, the reason why your doctor took you off Losart HCTZ is because this medication is a combination of losartan and hydrochlorothiazide. Hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic which has shown to have a bad effect on Parkinson's, resulting in its progression and/or worsening. For this reason, it was the right thing to replace it with Losartan 100 mg, which has in fact proven to be good for individuals diagnosed to have Parkinson's disease. As for the other medications you are on that can cause a drug interaction, please do write to me with those medications ma'am, so I can give you a more detailed view on the same. Some interactions are mild and can be easily tolerated, so if this is the case, then we need not worry about the interaction. But I can only comment on this once I learn about the other medications, with your help of course. Looking forward to your kind response. I hope you find my response helpful. Please also feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.