Is it safe to start moderate aerobic exercise for high blood pressure while taking Diuretic?

I was recently diagnosed as having high blood pressure. My last blood pressure reading was 146/102. I am 41 years old. Male. 5'10" tall. 279 pounds (was also diagnosed as obese obviously). I have started taking a diuretic (hydrochlorothiazide). Is it safe for me to start some moderate aerobic exercise such as walking on a treadmill?
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prasad 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can.... Detailed Answer: Hi, I do not find any reason that suggest you shouldn't be exercising. You can safely start cardioexercise like walking on a treadmill. Some general recommendations/tips that you should follow include: 1. Do not over do. Start as a slow pace to gradually increase speed settings. Initially keep it between 5-10 km/hr and increase it after a week based on your tolerance. 2. I suggest my patients to start exercise for not more than 15 minutes for the first week. The duration can be prolonged based on your tolerance after a week. 3. Maintain heart rate under 145 beats per minute. This heart rate is age dependent and should be lowered as you grow old. 4. Drink plenty of fluids/sport drinks during exercise to maintain hydration. Diuretic and exercise can easily make you dehydrated. 5. Stop immediately if you experience chest pain, severe body aches (cramps) or breathing difficultly. 6. Lastly supplement with a low calorie but balanced diet. You can talk to a nutritionist about it. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any other information. Regards