Is it safe to marry with a partner having inactive hepatitis B?

Dec 2012

Can a man marry a girl who has inactive hepatitis B.. doctors back home said she is inactive hb carrier? and is it safe for the man if he get the vaccine, and can they have children or its risky?
Her test results says:
HBV Titer: 148 copies/ml
The specimen is positive for HBV DNA
the quantitative assay was performed using real-time PCR
she is 23 years old and do u think she can get rid of the disease some day... Thanks
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 31 minutes later

Thanks for posting,
I do understand your concern which is logical given that hepatitis is sexually transmittable infection.
The simple and straight forward answer is that "YES", a man can get married to a woman with inactive hepatitis B provided he gets himself vaccinated. Spontaneous reactivation can occur and so it will be wise to get the vaccine. Ones vaccinated you will be protected. Just follow the instructions or guidelines for renewal of the vaccine. You will be protected so long as the vaccine is active and does not expire.
Even though the viral load is not very high ( at 148 copies/ml), it might be necessary that she takes antiviral to lower the viral load to maybe a negligible copies/ml.
Pregnancy can take its normal course. It is advisable to consult with gynobs before you proceed with the conception process.

Wish you all the rest.

Dr Nsah
Follow-up: Is it safe to marry with a partner having inactive hepatitis B? 26 minutes later
Can she ever be able to get rid of the disease, with diet exercise and taking vitamins to help her boost her immune system, or is there any other way that might help her get rid of it. or it will stay for the rest of her life carrying it?
Her younger brother (22 years old) tested positive for inactive HB last year and his test this year showed negative for HBV. please let me know and thanks!
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later

Sorry about the slight trouble you are having in your inbox ( I am sure it is a problem at the admin level).
Mean while proper diet, avoiding alcohol and consumption of toxic substances, treatment with antiviral could prove to be helpful to her.
She will need to get her liver function evaluated with testing for liver enzymes ( to help see if any liver damages are already present). She might be infected but no liver damage has yet taken place. More than 80% of hepatitis B infection get resolved spontaneously without the need for treatment and she might later be presenting with positive tests result with no viral load. She will require periodic testing.
A reproductive health specialist such as a gynobs should be consulted when pregnancy is desired as the possibility of mother-to-child transmission is there and need to be manage and prevented adequately, so as not to result to any future fetal complications.
Like I said before reading the part of her little brother, the HBV can resolve spontaneously without the need for treat.
So I say be hopeful and keep a positive mind, there is no need to be worried so much. It is a diseases that can be controlled and managed properly.

Hope this helps and write back if you require further info.

Dr Nsah