Is it safe to increase the dose of fentanyl 50 mg to 75mg?

My fentanyl 50 mg patch quits after 48 hours.My Dr. wants to up dosage to 75mg.How will that solve the patch quitting early? She also did not what the up the dosage of BT help me the last 24 hours.I did not like the answer of increasing the dosage to solve the time problem so I did nothing
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 1 hour later

Your doctor is increasing the dose because the original 50 mg lasts for only 48 hrs. Increasing the dose to 75 mg will give initial higher analgesia and after the expiry of 48 hrs analgesia will persist but with lower intensity as you would get during first 48 hrs with 50 mg dosage. Normally the effect lasts for 72 hrs but in your case, pain intensity must be higher so 50 mg dosage must be giving just tolerable analgesia which also fades after 48 hrs. In my opinion you should give a trial to 75 mg. fentanyl and if it doesn't help additional additive therapy in consultation with your doctor can be thought of.

Hope I have addressed your concern. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. J. Ticku,
Follow-up: Is it safe to increase the dose of fentanyl 50 mg to 75mg? 7 hours later
At the 50 mg level I am tolerating the side effects(slight itching and mild nausea) and have two good days without BT meds.I really hate to upset that by putting more narcotics into my system. With the increased dosage will the itching and nausea feeling increase? If so how can I reduce those symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 2 hours later

If the pain is of low intenssity and you feel better without it, then it is better to avoid this narcotic. If the intensity of pain is high then you better give it a trial.

It is possible that the side effects may be same as with 50mg dosage.

Why have unnecessary medication if they can be avoided. Take medicines only when it is a must.

Dr. Ticku
Follow-up: Is it safe to increase the dose of fentanyl 50 mg to 75mg? 2 hours later
How do you feel about changing the 50mg fentanyl patch every 48 hours to help with the last day of pain.If you do approve of changing every 48hours ,which method do you prefer best ,increasing the dosage or changing @ 48 hour interval and WHY.
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 8 hours later

Thanks again.

The use of fentanyl patches - dose and frequency is guided by patients need and tolerance limit. Accordingly we could either use 75 mg every 72 hours or 50 mg every 48 hours - the total dosage remains the same at the end of time.

Therefore there is no harm if you change it every 48 hrs.

Dr. J. Ticku