Is it safe to ice an infected knee bursitis or cellulitis?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
is it wise to ice an infected knee bursitis or cellulitis....there is still swelling and heat after first 10 days on eds. But no pain at all. ? i m 57, healthy, 155 male. i am on keflex and bactrim orally . i was in hospital for 3 days on IV antibiotics 10 days ago.
Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Just ice will not help much.
You should give the inflammed area ice cold fomentation with magnesium sulphate.
Mix about 2-3 tsf of magnesium sulphate powder in about 1oo cc of ice cold water and then apply cold compresses to the affected area with a clean piece of cloth or cotton. Apply these fomentations twice a day. This will help reduce the swelling as well as the redness.
Regarding antibiotics you have already completed a course so you need not continue them any more if you are not exhibiting symptoms and signs of infection.
I hope this answers your question.
With regards
Follow-up: Is it safe to ice an infected knee bursitis or cellulitis? 1 hour later
how long should I leave the compress on my knee area???
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later
Yon need to give cold fomentations three times a day. The duration of each session should be 30 minutes. Continue this for 4 to 5 days until the redness and swelling disappear completely.
With regards