Is it safe to have spinal fusion surgery and knee replacement surgery at same time?

Hello, I am going to have a spinal fusion on XXXXXXX 8, 2014, would it work for me to have a knee replacement before or after the back surgery, so I could heal and get better at the same time, since I am going to be off work for 3 months. My job is Flight Attendant. Thank You So Much, XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please, do not do both at the sanme time! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about the back and knee problems. I understand you would like to get well all at the same time so that you can be back up and fully functional again. I wish and hope just for that as well. The order here would not be a problem. However, i strongly discourage you from getting both procedures done about the same time. I will suggest that you go ahead and schedule that which you think is a bigger problem than the other right now. after surgery, get healed completely before programing and getting the other problem sorted. This is because if both procedures are done at the same time, the risk of complications and inability to comply with rehabilitation which is a huge part of recovery after this surgery would be huge. In all, I am suggesting that yo only get the other operated upon after attaining a significant recovery fro the first surgery. I would not advice that you get both repaired at the same time for reasons I have clearly discussed above. I hope this addresses your query and you find it useful. Thank you so much for using our services and please do feel free to ask for clarification and further questions if need be. I wish you well and best of luck with these procedures. Dr. Ditah, MD