Is it safe to have sex if I am having sciatica?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
hi doctor in continuation to my previous query.. may I know if it is sciatica then does this problem have anything to do with sex. how this will I'mpact my body if i continue taking painkillers
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: Hi, Routine sex is safe and is not related to sciatica. However, sex in unusual positions may exacerbate sciatica in person already having the problem. Initial treatment consists of medications such as pregabalin or gabapentin capsules. These are very safe and are not associated with any significant adverse effects. Pain killers such as diclofenac or ibuprofen tablets may be taken as and when necessary, but they should not be taken daily or for long time, as they may cause kidney injury or gastritis. Physiotherapy is also helpful. I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist, Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: Is it safe to have sex if I am having sciatica? 2 hours later
if i want to get my neuro tests done and what will be the overall cost to me.can you suggest any doctors in gurgaon for this

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: Mainly, you would need to consult a neurologist and get an MRI scan of the limbo-sacral spine done. The overall cost would be within Rs. 10,000/ At Gurgaon, you can consult Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX at Medanta Medicity. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)