Is it safe to have marijuana in my system while taking Doxycycline for chlamydia?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi I wanted to know if it is safe to have marijuana in my system while on doxycycline hyclate 100mg to treat chlamydia
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Drug Abuse

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Marijuana use is not recommended while on antibiotics like doxycycline for many reasons. Marijuana use with doxycycline can interfere with the absorption and metabolism of the drug in the gastrointestinal tract by affecting the enzymes needed to absorb the drug.
This can slow down the amount of time it takes to begin working properly to fight the infection. Marijuana use can also slow down the healing process of the body, which results in a longer recovery time. The way marijuana slows down the healing process is that THC the main chemical component of marijuana is fat soluble so it becomes absorbed by the white blood cells in the body. The white blood cells, which have a lipid (fat) component, are your body's "fighter" cells that destroy "bad" bacteria by eating it. However, when THC becomes absorbed by the lipid component of the white blood cells these cells cannot function properly to destroy the "bad" bacteria.

If the antibiotics cannot be absorbed properly and your white blood cells cannot fight the infection because of the marijuana use, then your chances of a quick recovery from an infection are decreased.
I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Follow-up: Is it safe to have marijuana in my system while taking Doxycycline for chlamydia? 3 minutes later
Thanks I also wanted to know if mixing marijuana and antibiotics un safe

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Mixing marijuana and antibiotics do not usually produce any adverse effect apart from a decreased antibiotic effect and a delay in control of infection.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Follow-up: Is it safe to have marijuana in my system while taking Doxycycline for chlamydia? 5 hours later
Thanks a lot for your help I don't plan to smoke while on antibiotics but marijuana is in my system from recent use

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 49 minutes later
Hello.
If marijuana is already in your system then you can have plenty of fluids orally so that it gets washed out from your system soon. Stopping any further consumption will also be helpful.
Wishing you an early trouble free recovery. Do accept the answer if there are no further queries.
Regards.