Is it safe to have high dose of progesterone daily in IVF pregnancy?
User rating for this question
I am 7 week pregnant through IVF and my doc. has prescribed susten 400mg(p/ v) 8 times daily as i am progesteron deficient. IS such high dose is safe for my baby. I heard abt neural tubal defect in fetus due to high progesteron level
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Estimation of serum progesterone levels Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Usually during first 12 to 14 weeks of pregnancy, corpus luteum of pregnancy will supply the progesterone. As you are having luteal phase defect, your doctor might have recommend progesterone supplementation. But 3.2gms per day is somewhat higher dose. Higher dose of progesterone may lead to side effects like virilization in the female fetus, genitalambiguity, clitoromegaly etc complications. So, better to go for estimation of serum progesterone levels once. Depending on the result, dose of susten can be adjusted with your doctor's advice. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.
People also viewed
- Spotting and fullness feeling
- Progesterone oil injections for ivf
- Underarm fullness feeling
- Light headed nausea and feel funny
- Ivf pregnancy progesterone susten
- High progesterone in early pregnancy
- Large gestational sac means what?
- Is progesterone safe during pregnancy
- Microgynon double dose
- Substitute for ecosprin 75
- High progesterone levels in pregnancy
- Doxinate during pregnancy side effects
- Empty gestational bag
- Right upper quadrant fulness feeling
- Fullness feeling in temple lyme