Is it safe to have glass of wine before IUI procedure? Will this affect pregnancy?

Excellent

Infertility Specialist
Question
hi..i will be doing my iui tomorrow..is it ok to have a glass of wine the night earlier..

will it lead to any problems in follicular growth or ovulation or affect the iui anyhow and reduce changes of pregnancy?
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 49 minutes later

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Following is my reply:

1) You can have only wine as little as possible. One glass is also good enough. Try to limit as much as you can.

2) Though wine is not associated to interfere in any way with folliculogenesis or ovulation, it is better avoided at the time of conception. Since conception will occur after few hous of IUI, it is advisable to limit the amount you consume.

3) One glass would not affect the chances of conception with IUI.

Go ahead and enjoy.

regards,
Dr.Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist

Follow-up: Is it safe to have glass of wine before IUI procedure? Will this affect pregnancy? 47 hours later
hi tanks for the info..i did my iui saturday morning.. i amexperiencing increased abdomen cramping like menustrual pain since yesterday..i have taken cardiprin, lacteal forte, utrogestan and progynova today once..i had taken these in my last iui as well and also didnt experience much discomfort last time..
any reason for the cramping..this was my 2nd iui..

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 40 minutes later

Cramps you are experiencing is due to the ovulation of some follicles which ould be ovulating. Hence the cramps mean that you are ovulating and it is a good sign.

I suggest you take rest for a day and be positive that you might conceive this cycle. Cramps will disappear in 24 hours from now.

I hope I answered your concerns.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist

Follow-up: Is it safe to have glass of wine before IUI procedure? Will this affect pregnancy? 32 minutes later
hi..thanks heaps..but i did iui yesterday morning (saturday)..if i am ovulating now isnt it a bit late then..will i still conceive..i was under the impression that i was already ovulating yesterday..
how long can ovulation last for?
this cramps are killng me..but thanks for the advice..
one last thing..should i avoid eating chinese cuisine as it contains MSG..or it doesnt make a difference..i am vegetarian..anything to particularly concentrate more on eating during this period or to avoid?

thanks

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 6 minutes later
Hi, you might have ovulated on the day of IUI itself. But there are some more follicles which were smaller that day and have become bigger now to ovulate. Hence you have more than one follicle ovulating. Its a good sign. Have intercourse today and tomorrow so that even these follicles are fertilized and your chances of pregnancy improve. Dont worry about chinese or any other food. All types of food are good enogh. No harm. Please accept my answer if my answers were of help to you. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol. IVF & Infertility Specialist

Follow-up: Is it safe to have glass of wine before IUI procedure? Will this affect pregnancy? 1 hour later
hi..thanks i will try again 2day.. one last questn iam havin a bit of fungal infectni think its uti..i took 1 lactealforte today morn..is it ok to still try now..also can i takelacteal forte twice a day or is it only once daily..i had forgotten to ask my doc abt it..

thanks

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later
Hi, you can take lacteal forte twice a day. But avoid taking it now as you are in the phase of ovulation and fertilization. If its not very painful and bearable, You can postpone it by 5 days if you can as this is the time of ovulation and possible fertilization. Though it has no specific effect on fertility aspect it is better not to have any medicines like this as much as possible. Meanwhile bkeep trying as i told you before. All the best for successful pregnancy. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol. IVF & Infertility Specialist