Is it safe to have chicken and alcohol while on flagyl?

Jun 2015

I am currently taking flagyl, and know I am not to consume alcohol. However, I am cooking chicken in the oven with a sauce that has some wine in it. The oven temperature is 350, and it is cooking for an hour. Will the alcohol burn off so that I don't have to worry, or should I just avoid the dish altogether?
Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 2 hours later

The wine present in the sauce will get absorbed in the chicken during the process of cooking.
And consumption of the chicken may interact with metronidazole (the medication present in flagyl) & cause symptoms like flushing of the skin, increased heart rate, shortness of breath, nausea, vomiting, etc.

It is usually advisable to avoid alcohol for at least 48 hours after consumption of metronidazole.

So, to be on the safer side, it will be better to avoid the dish.

Wishing you a good health.

Let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.